in Hoover, AL
See clear again
New advances in contact lens technology allow most people to successfully wear contact lenses, even those with astigmatism or bifocal requirements. You will quickly recognize that we go beyond the “one size fits all” approach to contact lenses and understand the importance of personal attention when it comes to your vision and comfort.
Alabama Family Eye Care will work with you to determine the best type based on your lifestyle, the shape and health of your eye. In most cases, you’ll be able to leave with lenses on the same day as your exam. We’ll teach you how to place the lenses in your eye as well as how to remove them. This is often the most intimidating part of trying contact lenses for the first time. Our staff is patient and knowledgeable to walk you through it all step by step.
For those patients that have had a difficult time finding lenses that provide good enough vision for their lifestyle, there are RGP or "hard" contacts. These lenses do provide better vision in most cases, but are usually a bit more difficult to adjust to comfort wise. There are many patients in these lenses that are completely happy and unwilling to switch to soft contact lenses.
Silicone Hydrogel Lenses
Another category of lenses that are fairly new to the market are the silicone hydrogel lenses. These lenses can provide many times more oxygen to the eyes compared to other category of lenses. These lenses are actually providing some patients with a second chance to remain in soft contact lenses. If there is a significant risk of failing ocular health due to lack of oxygen to the cornea, then these lenses may provide the needed oxygen and therefore may extend a patient's ability to remain in soft lenses.
A good contact lens fit starts with a thorough eye exam to ensure the most up-to-date prescription and rule out any pre-existing conditions that could interfere with contact lens wear or put you more at risk for complications due to wearing contact lenses.
After the initial fitting, we follow up with you and make any necessary changes in fit or materials to give you the best comfort and vision. We teach all our patients proper contact lens care and also possible consequences if proper care is not taken. Then we continue with long-term follow up at least yearly to monitor the condition of the lenses, eye health and to ensure that proper hygiene is being maintained to prevent complications.
Essilor Jupiter Scleral GP lenses
If you have been told you can't wear contact lenses let us see if we can help. At Alabama Family Eye Care we have the expertise necessary to get you seeing your best.
Indications for the Essilor Jupiter Lens:
- Regular and irregular corneas unable to be adequately fit with small diameter corneal lenses.
- Symmetrical corneas where standard lenses cannot offer the stability or comfort.
- Asymmetrical corneas that require a larger than standard lens but a full scleral design is too large.
- GP intolerant patients unable to achieve adequate vision with soft lenses Hybrid lens candidates.
- Has proven successful for the correction of many corneal irregularities including postsurgical cases.
- Fits well in cases of corneal flattening inserts to offer good VA and comfort unsurpassed with soft lenses.
- Provides initial comfort that lasts all day long.
- JupiterTM lens can be designed to meet almost any patient need.
*Cannot Use Insurance Benefits Online